Chuck's Blog

On occasion I have something to say.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Dating experts

Do you know what I hate? And yes it is another one of those vent type entries, so if you hate it when I vent just skip over this one and save yourself the grief. Anyways, do you know what I hate? I hate that most married people (and yes there are exceptions) act like they know everything about dating since they are married. We always talk about "graduating" from my singles ward, but it's not about graduating really. It's more about luck I think. Looking at it like graduating makes it seem like they did something to deserve it, when really it's just a matter of "some people are lucky and some aren't" and then the lucky people get married and get lucky again, and again, and again!

See the married people I'm thinking of seem to think they know all about dating, when in fact they don't really know a damn thing. I mean how could you know anything about dating when you got married at 18, 19 or even 20 and didn't date much at all? I mean 1, 2 or 3 years of dating as an adult isn't a whole lot of dating experience. I mean if you were to put it on a resume it sure wouldn't look impressive. Now when you get to be my age, or older, and you've dated as long as I have then, and only then can you call yourself a dating expert. I mean I've been on the market longer then any of my brothers were before they got married haven't I? They all got married a younger age then I am now and I'm still single. Now in my family's defense they don't do this, so please put your offended side aside because this isn't for you. I'm just saying that most married people think they are all knowing when it comes to the ways of dating. Most married people love to hand out dating advice as if it was candy at a parade.

There is a simple rule to follow when it comes to these kinds of things, and fortunately my family is good about this (so don't be offended). If you don't get asked for advice don't give it out. It's that simple really. Most people just talk about what's going on in their lives but don't expect advice unless they actually ask for it. People will vent from time to time and they just want to be heard, they don't want to be lectured. Being a good listener is an amazing quality because it is very rare. Out of all my family and friends I can only really count the good listeners that I know on one maybe two hands.

So if you're married and like to pretend you know what you're talking about please do all of us single people a favor and shut up. If we want advice we'll ask the people we trust, granted that might be you, but it might not be. Being single isn't really as bad as everybody thinks either, so don't act like you're doing us a favor either, because despite what you might think most of us are quite happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home