God has got to have a sense of humor
I remember a time a long time ago (or at least it feels like a long time ago) when me and my family went down on vacation to see my grandparents in St. George. It was me, my three brothers and my mom. I remember that we were all very excited to go hiking. The problem is that it was raining and so we could not go. Normally it doesn't rain too much in St. George so we considered this to be bad luck.
Well at lunch one day my grandpa had asked Tim to pray. At the time my grandparents were both very active members of the (l.d.s.) church. On the other hand we were not the most active members of the church, and could be considered by some to be a bit irreverent.
So my grandpa had asked one of his irreverent grandchildren to pray. Tim said all the typical things in a prayer, "Thanks for grandma and grandpa, please bless the food to nourish and strengthen our bodies and minds. We’re grateful for this and that..." then he paused and then said, "Oh and thanks for the rain, I'm sure it's doing somebody some good!"
Well that's where that prayer ended because we all began to laugh. I remember thinking that we were going to get reprimanded by grandpa, but he laughed too. After a few good chuckles he said something I'll never forget, he said "God has got to have a sense of humor."
So when I'm laughing my way through sacrament meeting because I never get through a hymn without singing the wrong words at some point, or at any other time when I am seemingly irreverent I always think of my grandpa and what he said. Sure there are limits to humor and what we should laugh at, but I don't think there are as many limits to what you can laugh at as some of those prudes out there think.
So if you feel the need to laugh but wonder if it’s ok think of what my grandpa said, “God has got to have a sense of humor.” And if you can picture God laughing at it, then I think it’s ok for you to do so as well.

1 Comments:
I didn't remember this particular memory, but I love hearing anything about Grandpa. God has to have a sense of humor or this whole experience would be really boring for Him.
Post a Comment
<< Home