Christmas
I am going to be totally honest here, Christmas isn't anything special for me the last few years. This year I work in the online retail business and have gotten the deep fried commercialized side of the holidays.
I am just going to be happy to have a few days off and some time with my family. I want to get them nice stuff and show them I love them and all, but why the hell do I have to fight angry mobs and spend money to do that? I really don't think I do. It's just really hard for me to get into the Christmas spirit when I have one angry person after another yelling at me because their kid or loved one won't get some stupid present they don't even need anyways by the 25th of December, as though love has an expiration date. However if love did I'm thinking it'd be the 25th of December or quite possibly February 14th.
It really just feels like a total lack or focus on the right things. I know it's the spirit of the holidays to give, but I think we can do that in some really simple ways. As far as last minute shoppers go I won't even go there, it is even worse from an online perspective. How the hell can someone expect to buy something on line on a Monday, get it by Wednesday and not expect to pay through the nose for shipping? It's ridiculous! It just seems like it's the price we pay for the culture we live in. We're so used to getting what we want and getting it now ... speaking of which my burger king dinner is getting cold, true story!
So last night Hilarie came by and brought me some ornaments for our tree. They all had some spiritual significance and we read about them and then read the scripture quotes regarding that significance. It was really cool, it made me realize just how not good enough I am for this girl. It's encouraging though I think.
I played my guitar and we sang a bit after that. It was a really special experience. So much better then the last minute rush to prove your love to people who should damn well already know it. I have felt this way for a few years now and I'm just getting more and more adamant as the years go by. I think I'll just take Christmas off when I have kids one or two years to make a point. It's just got to be about being together, finding free yet meaningful ways to share love, and not stressing til you have an ulcer about presents.
K, I'm putting the soap box away now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home