Building a Building
I had a thought today. I was sitting in church thinking about how monumental different things in our life that we need to do can feel. It occurred to me that Heavenly Father knows this, that's why he would never say something like this "Build me a building." He might say that to you though, I imagine most of you would just get down to work, but if I was told to do that then I would just feel overwhelmed. That's why he usually says something more like this, "Make some tools, get some building materials, lay a foundation, and put up a framework." Of course he gives this to me one step at a time rather then all at once. I get the tools, then he tells me what to do next. It's like a baby step program for spirituality.
At the final stages I realize just how amazing I can really be when I put myself to work, just as you can. We can do some pretty cool things when we follow his commands.
The building itself isn't important, but what it brings out in us to build it. The building could topple and we'd still have what we got out of it. When we gather tools, we ourselves become his tool. When we lay a foundation, well ... you know what that one means. When we build a framework it is a framework for our lives. Following his commandments basically lays out who we are and builds us up. It is not what we do as a result of obeying but what we become as a result of obeying.
Obeying his commands (you'll notice I'm not saying commandments, those are different altogether) even when we don't see the end results (because we rarely do) builds us up and eventually we will see what it is he is trying to build inside of us.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home