Where is it?
It’s funny that I often catch myself looking for things in all the wrong places. It can be one thing or another in life, looking for a cure to loneliness, looking for something to fill some of these silly holes in my life. It’s like baking cookies and trying to find the eggs in the garage, or the storage room, then realizing that you’re stupid and they’re in the fridge where they belong.
I often lose my focus in this way and feel lonely and look for a cure in all the wrong places. I look to distraction, in friends, books, video games. But none of those people or things really can cure loneliness. I know what can of course, and I don’t mean my future wife either. I’m quite capable of feeling content with my life as it is right now. It’s just a matter of remembering where the eggs are at. They’re in the fridge. The atonement is what it comes down to. If I look anywhere else then I’ll get stuck looking here and there and getting no where fast.
I drove by an old friend’s house the other night. She died in a car wreck shortly after I graduated high school. I remember the spring before that we went on tour with the concert choir and I had the chance to talk with her dad for a while in Seattle while we ate lunch together. Whenever I think of her I think of him and how painful it must have been to lose his daughter. Then my thoughts strayed to another friend. She lost her sister in a car wreck as well. This friend was driving home when she fell asleep at the wheel and got in a wreck. She survived, but her sister did not. I thought about how hard that must have been, I can’t even imagine. Then I remembered the Savior, and I was comforted. Neither of these girls shares my religious beliefs, but I don’t think it matters one bit. I think that sometimes we come upon such a desperate need in our life that we find the only answer we can, the atonement. I don’t even think we realize what it is most of the time, but it comforts us still.
Upon this thought I realized that with that knowledge I am that much more empowered. I’ve got burdens, just as we all do. It’s an awesome feeling of hope and comfort to realize that I don’t have to carry any of them alone.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home