Leftovers
Letting go can sure be hard sometimes. Why just the other day I ordered a burger at a restaurant and it tasted lousy, but I ate half of it anyways, I mean I was paying for it right? Well then I decided to take the 2nd half home in a box, even though I knew I probably wouldn’t eat it, but I just couldn’t let go.
I think that from now on I’m going to have a 3 bite rule. If that burger, steak, or salad doesn’t do it for me by bite #3 then I’m done. Wait a second, I never eat salad! But seriously if you don’t like your food that quickly then it’s probably not a good idea to take it home with you, duh Chuck!
So there my burger sits, 6 days old. I should throw it away, I just haven’t yet. It’s funny how we hold on to silly things that are doing us no good. Why do we do this? I mean my rotten burger is just one example. If I leave it there long enough it’s going to stink.
I swear my life feels like a fridge full of lousy leftovers sometimes. I think that lately I’ve done a good job of throwing them out. I feel like I’ve taken a lot of the festering things in my life and thrown them away. It feels good to clean out the fridge, it really does.
Sometimes I’ve felt overwhelmed by all that it is that I need to fix. I mean cleaning out a fridge feels like a lot of work sometimes. I guess it is, but it’s nice that we have help with that. It just takes a little faith both in your own agency, and in the atonement.
It’s great that when we are ready we can say “Lord I don’t want this anymore, will you take it for me?” And he does. I mean anything that we don’t want can be cleaned out for us. There are limits of course, he can’t completely take away any burden that we will learn from, but he can still lighten our load.
It’s awesome that I know what I’m saying is totally true, although it’s hard to put into words. We just give him the bad and ask him to replace it with good. Take my lousy burger and replace it with something tasty. Take my anger and replace it with peace, and then he does. It’s amazing what a little knowledge and faith can do for us.
Holy cow! Can you believe I got all of this out of a lousy burger? Now I think I’m going to go throw it away so it won’t stink up the fridge. A moment of silence please.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home