We don't worship X
I like to study my scriptures in the morning after I wake up. When I do this I turn on my computer and play church music randomly, then I put on my screensaver which is a bunch of pictures of my family, the temples, and the Savior. I feel this makes for a very spiritual atmosphere where my reflections are focused on the things that matter.
Today while reading my scriptures I heard the Mormon tabernacle choir sing My shepherd will supply my need. I thought it was a bit odd that when the line "No more a stranger, nor a guest, but like a child at home" was sung the screen saver showed a picture of Christ with a child in his arms, the following picture was one of Christ helping two children on his way. The picture after that was of my grandparents with a bunch of other old people I didn't recognize. They passed away several years ago, and I suppose they are like a child at home now. The next picture was one of my mother as a child. I know it's just a random thing, but it struck me as being very unrandom based on the words of my favorite song.
So I have a holiday pet peeve. In this bustling busy world of ours we are so busy that we often do some very dumb things. We turn away offers to hang out with friends for various reasons, "I have homework, work tomorrow" ect. ect. We miss the opportunity to have what would be a great companionship with friends for silly reasons sometimes. We're oftentimes too busy for our own good, silly but true.
Another thing we do is we shorten things. We make up acronyms for everything. I can think of two dozen acronyms if I tried. We’re quite lazy, maybe this has to do with being apart of the IMing and txting generation. We have learned to shorten things for one reason or another.
I won’t share any examples here except the one that drives me crazy this time of year, Xmas. We don’t worship X, we worship Christ. I don’t think I need to say anything more. I know some of you are not religious like I am and don’t agree with this, and for you Xmas is ok, but for me it is Christmas.
I don’t give or get many presents this time of year, and I like it that way. The holiday isn’t about presents for me, it is about Christ. It is the one time of year for me to remember his life, and his death if I neglect to do so at any other time. So for me X is an insult to all that I hold holy.
With that said I’ll get off my soapbox and return to my normal routine. Thx for listening … er I mean thanks.

5 Comments:
I freaking love that song. just so you know. :)
HOHOHO Merry Xmas. hehehe
I wrote about that on my blog, and got a comment containing a link to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas. You'll have to look at that. Interesting read.
While anyone has a right to dislike the term "Xmas", its important to note that it is not a blatant form of "Taking Christ out of Christmas" or even using X because it looks like a cross. Our latin letter X was stolen from the Greek alphabet's letter Chi. Chi is the first letter of the word "Χριστός", which we translate into "Christ". Chi (X) has long been used to represent the word "Christ", much in the same way that we use the term "Melchizedek Priesthood" to represent "the Holy Priesthood, after the Order of the Son of God". We don't worship Melchizedek any more than we worship X, but we still deem it appropriate to use Melchiedek's name to refer to Christ. Likewise, the letter Chi represents Christ, even though it does admittedly look like someone just X'ed out Christ out of Christmas. That said, anyone is still entitled to dislike the term.
Shortening Christmas bugs me a bit too. Always has. I guess that it also has something to do with the fact that I can rarely abide laziness in spelling. Which is why I also hate all words that should be spelled with C's being spelled with K's. You know, like KRAZY. Ew.
Post a Comment
<< Home