The scenic route

I have been very annoyed by people that think being 25 and single is a bad thing. I will be 25 at the end of the year, and that will make me the new reigning champion of bachelorhood in my family. None of my brothers got to 25 before they joined the heavenly halls of matrimony. Poor suckers!
Now I get the attitude from some people (mostly the stupid ones) that there must be something wrong with me if I’m still single. After all they didn’t have a hard time finding a wife or husband at the ripe age of 18 or 21 (right off their missions)! “So if I can do it you can too, and if you can’t then by golly there has got to be something wrong with you.” Now nobody has ever actually said this to me, but I get the attitude from lots and lots of the previously mentioned stupid people.
I drove home today from playing ultimate Frisbee up at the U of U campus. I could have gotten home the quick way by going up I-80 west and then onto I-215. I decided that I would rather take the scenic route and go on the belt route all the way down and around I-215. The sun was setting and I wanted to enjoy it, and I have always loved driving along the mountains as well.
So why do I mention this in lieu of the present conversation topic, namely my being old and still single (I’m such a horrible person)? Well I figure that my being single still at this old age of 25 is like my drive home. Some people would rather just get to where they are going as fast as they can. These people are so focused on their destination that they don’t understand the fundamental concept that life is a big road trip, and it’s not so much about getting to your destination as it is the drive there. I like to think that my years as a bachelor are like the scenic drive home. I have had more time to enjoy the sunset and the beautiful mountains. I am not in such a hurry that I have forgotten to enjoy the trip. I’ll get there eventually, and when I do I’ll still have a sunset in my heart.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home