Chuck's Blog

On occasion I have something to say.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Perspective

I saw a butterfly the other day. It had landed in between some weeds that compared to its size were quite large, however quite tiny to me. I wondered what it would look like from the perspective of the butterfly and figured it would be like being in a forest. Then I wondered how great a real forest would seem to this tiny butterfly. But unlike me the butterfly has wings and as I thought that the butterfly took off and flew from ground level to the top of the fence in the blink of an eye.

Tiny things seem pretty big from ground level, there is just no way around that. It’s when we take off and fly above them that they seem tiny. The atonement is the wings whereby we can fly.

On the road home from a long family party one of my favorite songs came on; Where the streets have no name by U2. It always makes me think of how it would feel to go on the road to an unknown destination but with the freedom of heart that comes from feeling like you can do anything.

It’s the same feeling I got a few years ago when I was going to Orlando. Back then I felt like I was going somewhere and I was in control of my life more so then I think I realized. I let myself get burdened with silly things like a car payment though. I wish I could go back to that time and give myself some perspective and help my young self realize just how great a thing it was that I was doing.

The unknown terrifies me now, and back then it did as well, but for a time I defeated it. It’s my goal to hear that song and feel like it’s just another verse in the life I’m already living.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home