Chuck's Blog

On occasion I have something to say.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Need some sugar?

I've talked a lot with a certain friend lately about friendship. I really don't think being a friend should be as hard as she makes it out to be. I think being a friend should come naturally. Most of my friends are really laid back. I'd do anything for most of them, all they'd have to do is ask. I figure if people are comfortable with me and they need something they'll ask for it. I don't constantly point out that I'm willing to help them though because people will figure that out on their own. You can't just tell someone they can trust you, you have to earn their trust.

Have you ever needed to borrow a hammer from your neighbor, or a cup of sugar or something else maybe? Being a good friend is like that. You're the neighbor who everybody knows they can come to if they need to borrow something. It's nice to know that if you're short on sugar or something else you can borrow it from your trusted neighbor.
Some people don't want to wait for someone to come and ask to borrow a cup of sugar, or a hammer. Instead of waiting for people to come to them they go door to door. They're like a door to door salesman. Ding dong, "Hi, I'm your neighbor, I just noticed that I have a lot of sugar and I wanted to know if you needed any ... no, well how about a hammer, or a wrench or something. I've got a garage fool of tools." The door slams shut, "Well if you do ever need anything I'll be next door waiting for you."

I'm sure that more then one person that reads this (one in particular) will think I'm a jerk for it. You shouldn't have to sell yourself door to door. People will come to you if they need something. Not everyone will need to borrow something from you because some people already have what they need in their own house or maybe they just trust another neighbor more.

Don't sell yourself door to door, you're better then that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home