Chuck's Blog

On occasion I have something to say.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Fulfillment

I've had a good year. I've learned a ton about myself from my current job at Overstock.com. I say that in general because I really learned a lot from being a quality coach more than anything. I did reach a point where I felt that I was done learning from that and wanted to move on. When I did I excelled at my current job. It's great to feel like I'm doing awesome at the things I'm doing. I'm also liked at work a lot as well. That's nice as well in its own way.

Lately I've been feeling a lack of fulfillment. I think it's just something that has been on my mind more and more. I really like my job but don't fill like my talents are being utilized. It's not that I'm being short changed in the job (ok I may be a little underpaid), it's more that I feel like I could be doing something more. I think I need to get back to school and pursue a career that will be rewarding to me as a human being.

I really love working with people. I love hearing their stories and finding out what makes them tick, and what makes them special. I think that's one of my talents as mentioned in a prior entry. I feel like I can see to the root of things a lot of times. I am honestly thinking that some kind of social work or even a therapist of some kind might be a good way for me to go. The scary part for me is going back to school and figuring that all out. However I don't want to be stuck in a job that may be fulfilling now and again but that would ultimately be a waste of my talents.

The other side of fulfillment is the whole bachelor thing. I'd really like to be in a meaningful relationship. For the better part of my whole adult life it's just been me. There were parts of that where it was very nice to be single. Right after I broke up with Hilarie I loved being single and took advantage of it by buying whatever the hell I wanted. That was a fun phase, but I'm glad it's over. Anyways like I was saying it's always been just me. I really just want to have someone else to take care of, to worry about.

The things I enjoy the most in my life are the little things I'm able to do for other people. Probably sounds cheesy but it's true. I mean I can't remember the last time I got a girl flowers, and I love doing things like that. I love little notes on cars saying simple things like "hope you had a great day". I love being there when someone needs a big hug with no questions as to why. I just long for that kind of thing.

Fulfillment is a beautiful thing. If you don't love what you're doing then you need to put a microscope on your life and figure out why. Sometimes it's just a matter of enjoying the small things, or not letting them get to you. For me right now it means redoing everything, which is awesome in a lot of ways. As far as the relationship I feel pretty good about where I'm at right now. Things may not work out with Tiff, but I can't worry myself about it. She really is an amazing woman though, and even if it's just a great friendship I'm seriously lucky to have that.


So I wanted to add something to the end of this post that isn't relevant to the general topic. My brother Brad just called me and wants me to go with him to Bear Lake in about two weeks so I can be there to cheer him on for his first marathon ever. I seriously think that is so awesome, I'm totally excited to be there to see him finish his first marathon. I'm really impressed with him, he's awesome. Anyways it's exciting to me to be able to be the one to cheer him on his first time. GO BRAD!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home